Popular Posts

Thursday 12 January 2012

Our products are thoroughly tested and researched


Researching products and ingredients that I can use for The Doggy-Deli is very important when it comes to baking the best treats possible. 
Running The Doggy-Deli Over the past 12 months Cleo and I have experimented with many different recipes working hard to create a delicious and nutritious product; a product that will sustain its freshness for a reasonable amount of time.  I found out soon enough that this would be one of the biggest challenges I would face baking all natural dog treats.  How do you preserve a product without adding actual preservatives?  What’s the best way to prevent mould?  Does packaging play a part in shelf life?  These are all questions that I’ve been faced with throughout this process, and luckily I’ve found some answers…
The first thing that I needed to do was to research natural preservatives.  Thanks to the internet I found that honey, cinnamon, sage, rosemary and cloves are all ingredients I can use to preserve my treats.  I’m currently baking with honey and cinnamon to test this theory, as I thought they would be the most appealing ingredients to add to each of my four recipes. The feedback I am receiving from people like Linda Lusardi has been incredibly positive.
With all natural dog treats, mould is a definite concern.  I understand that as a customer if you are paying for a product the last thing you want after a couple of days is to notice mould on any treats. I have successfully come up with a list of ingredients that are guaranteed to produce NO mould at all. By leaving out yeast this is a problem we do not have to suffer with.  We have found that if you store the treats in an open plastic bag or a closed tin you will have no problems for up to 3 week. The natural preservatives also help, but I learned that the cooling process would also play a key role in extending the shelf life of my product.  I now cool the treats in a dry cool area for 24-48 hours before packaging, eliminating excess moisture for optimum dryness.

I’m fortunate in the packaging department, as my treats are packaged in a specially designed and exclusively created plastic type biscuit bag.
We’re proud to offer you and your dog(s) the goodness of a 100% natural, wheat free snack, packaged for optimum freshness.



1 comment: